Lava Hot Springs Area History
Once part of the original Fort Hall reservation, the springs and land were part of a treaty agreement between the Indians and the US Government in the late 1800's. The federal government purchased the springs and land, approximately 178 acres including the springs.
A 1902 act granted the lands to the State of Idaho to be held by the State for public use. Later all rights to the operation, management, control, maintenance and improvement of the lands and property were vested in the Lava Hot Springs Foundation, an agency within the Idaho Dept. of Parks & Recreation.
110 E Main
Lava Hot Springs, ID 83246
It is open daily from noon to 5:00 p. m. and after hours by appointment. Admission is free but donations are gratefully accepted.
This exhibit at the South Bannock County Historical Center Museum tells the story of the Shoshone-Bannock people and Lava Hot Springs.
See photos of their people, a map of the area and read how the land was purchased from the Fort Hall reservation by the State of Idaho for public use.
Lava Hot Springs Railroad Depot in about 1920.
After the train depot was constructed in 1902-1905 the hot springs were accessible to the western traveler. The depot was used as a home, north west of Lava Hot Springs on U.S. Highway 30 until it burned down on April 1, 2004.
The 1962 Lava Flood
In 1962 and 1963, severe flooding damaged the foundation's swimming pools and hot baths. The Foundation rebuilt the new swimming pool and hot pools. See pictures of Lava's History below including photos of the flood.